As a leading proponent of equality for all people, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression, we ask our grantees themselves to model best practices. All proposals to the Gill Foundation must include a board approved copy of the organization’s employment nondiscrimination policy which expressly includes “sexual orientation” and “gender expression” or “gender identity” as protected classes.
The following formats are the only acceptable documents for proof of a nondiscrimination policy that has the approval of your board of directors:
- Policy text is on organization’s letterhead and is signed by board chair or executive director.
- Copy of policy text in organization’s by-laws, employee manual, or other official source. Please include copy of relevant pages and highlight the policy text.
Sample Nondiscrimination Policy
“This policy states [Organization Name]’s position on discrimination. This policy applies to all [Organization Name] employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors.
“[Organization Name] does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.
“This policy also applies to internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, outside vendors, organization members and customers, service clients, use of contractors and consultants, and dealings with the general public.”
Unacceptable Negating Language:
Policies like the following are not acceptable because they reference laws that that contain exceptions, that may not presently exist in all jurisdictions, or that are subject to change:
- “We do not unlawfully discriminate with regard to race, ability, sexual orientation, or gender expression.”
- “In accordance with federal, state, and local laws, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, ability, sexual orientation, gender expression, etc.”
- “We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ability, sexual orientation, or gender expression, to the extent prohibited by law.”
If you have questions regarding your organization’s nondiscrimination policy, please contact us.