Founded in 1994, the Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of efforts to secure full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. For more information, please visit www.gillfoundation.org.
With an annual budget of approximately $15 million and a Denver-based team of 18 people, the Gill Foundation seeks a mission-driven, campaign-oriented, and metrics-minded Program Officer to manage key portfolios in support of our investment strategy.
The ideal candidate will embody the following values of the foundation:
- Tolerance for risk and willingness to engage unlikely allies.
- Nimble, reacting quickly to new ideas, information, and events.
- Innovative, eschewing a business-as-usual approach.
- Iterative, learning quickly from mistakes and pivoting to new approaches.
- Daring and creative, embracing failure as an opportunity to learn and improve.
Reporting to the Vice President of Programs, the Program Officer will identify and act on opportunities to make tangible progress toward achieving equal treatment of LGBT people.
Portfolio Management – 85%
- Develop a portfolio of high-impact grants, key consulting contracts, and influential partnerships to advance equality.
- Rigorously monitor the issue, media, and policy landscapes to identify emerging opportunities for new investments and partnerships.
- Identify new, unlikely allies to advance our mission to secure equality, including the business community, faith leaders, and conservatives.
- Work with the Communications team and grantees to develop and launch paid, earned, and digital media initiatives.
- Work with our Donor Resources team to leverage Gill Foundation investments by partnering with institutional and individual donors.
Measurement and Reporting – 15%
- Evaluate portfolio investments through clear outcomes and metrics to track progress, adjust tactics as needed, scale successes, and incorporate learnings across the foundation’s grant-making.
- Ensure work is in full compliance with laws governing private foundations.
- Provide regular reports to senior leadership that evaluate grantees’ progress toward their outcomes and recommend any necessary pivots in strategy.
- Support and participate in staff trainings and evaluations of grantees and consultants.
Key Qualifications / Expectations
- Experience designing and managing advocacy or public education campaigns, particularly at the state-level.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge or considerable interest in earned, paid, and social media tactics.
- Working knowledge of nonpartisan civic engagement and public education tactics and/or considerable interest in the field.
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker who can quickly turn ideas into action.
- Self-starter who is able to deliver against timelines, remain focused under pressure, and manage multiple tasks.
- Business or consultant experience welcomed.
- Ability to thrive in a team-centered environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with strong leaders across the Gill Foundation and LGBT movement. The Gill Foundation offers competitive compensation packages including base salary and health, retirement, and vacation benefits.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, military status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Please, no phone calls.