Gill Foundation Hires Lance King as Vice President of Donor ResourcesWed Jul 25, 2012
The Gill Foundation announced today that D. Lance King will join the foundation as its new Vice President of Donor Resources in early September. King will lead the foundation’s work with other institutional and individual donors, both in Colorado and nationally, to build broader support for the foundation’s funding priorities—organizations and programs focused on gaining equal opportunity for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans. King will also lead the Gill Foundation’s OutGiving program, which provides opportunities for LGBT and allied donors to advance equality through philanthropy.
King brings more than 20 years of experience as a development professional—in higher education, healthcare, the arts, and as a consultant. He comes to the Gill Foundation from the San Francisco Symphony, where he has served as the Symphony’s Director of Development, leading a team of more than 25 development professionals.
“Lance’s extensive experience in development has included campaigns that, combined, raised hundreds of millions of dollars,” said Tim Sweeney, President and CEO of Gill Foundation. “He is an excellent leader who has ably built teams and aligned diverse groups of people behind a common purpose. With his relationships across the country, we couldn’t be more pleased that he’s chosen to bring his expertise and talent to Gill Foundation and the LGBT movement.”
“I am pleased to join the Gill Foundation at a time when the LGBT movement is gaining incredible momentum across the country,” said King. “It is more important than ever that we secure the resources to capitalize on opportunities as they present themselves, and I look forward to working with Gill Foundation in this important work.”
No stranger to Colorado, King also served the University of Colorado Foundation as Senior Vice President for Development, overseeing fundraising efforts for the multi-campus University of Colorado system.
His experience in higher-education development also includes campaigns at Stony Brook University, where he led the successful conclusion of the university’s first capital campaign to raise more than $360 million, and The University of Texas at Austin where he played an instrumental role in the $1.6 billion “We’re Texas” capital campaign.
King is a graduate of UT Austin and completed a post-graduate executive residency in nonprofit management in Washington, DC.
In The News
- U.S. Chamber Foundation and Gill Foundation Announce 'Inclusion Incorporated' Initiative
- Who's Partnering with Joe Biden on LGBTQ Inclusion?
- Investing in LGBTQ Advocacy with Smart Philanthropy
- 'Beyond I Do:' Denver foundation's new ad campaign focuses on LGBT discrimination
- 'Beyond I Do' PSA shows how LGBTQ discrimination still happens
- LGBTQ advocacy organization Gill Foundation selected local Brad Clark to take over as president
- New Leader for LGBT-Funding Powerhouse Gill Foundation
- Ford’s $1 Billion Impact Investment Fund Gets New Manager; Gill Foundation Hires CEO From Within
- Gill Foundation drops $400,000 on STEM labs for every elementary school in Englewood
- What the Right Gets Wrong About LGBT Megadonor Tim Gill
- Meet Tim Gill, The Megadonor Behind the LGBTQ Rights Movement
- Colorado advocates cheer U.S. Supreme Court ruling for gay marriage
- Gay Marriage Backers to Finance Anti-Discrimination Efforts
- America’s Gay Corporate Warrior Wants to Bring Full Equality to Red States
- The Marriage Equality Hall of Fame: 8 Funders Who Helped Make It Happen
- National Park Service’s Heritage Initiative aims to honor LGBT contributions
- National Park Service looks to add historic LGBT sites
- Telling All of America’s Story: The National Park Service Announces LGBT Theme Study
- US Aims to Identify, Promote Historic LGBT Sites
- With new initiative, National Park Service will put LGBT sites on the national map
- Gay donor: Gay rights not ‘inevitable’
- Gay Rights Push Shifts Its Focus South and West
- Eliza Byard Joins Gill Foundation Board of Directors
- Tim Gill & Scott Miller Announce Brad Clark as President and CEO
- Leadership Update from Tim Gill & Scott Miller
- Longtime Transgender Movement Leader Masen Davis to Join Gill Foundation as Senior Director of Special Projects
- Our 2016 LGBT Funding Priorities
- Tim Gill Statement in Response to Supreme Court Ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges
- Vice President Joe Biden Speaks at OutGiving 2015
- Seasoned Movement Leader Brad Clark to Join Gill Foundation as Vice President of Partnerships
- Gill Foundation’s Gay & Lesbian Fund for Colorado Announces $50,000 Grant to Support “Colorado Rising,” a Benefit for Flood Relief
- Gill Foundation Names Courtney Cuff as President and CEO
- Sweeney to Finish Term as President and CEO of Gill Foundation by End of 2013
- Gill Foundation Hires Lance King as Vice President of Donor Resources
- Gill Foundation Announces Gift of Colorado Springs Building to Rocky Mountain PBS, Creating “Tim Gill Center for Public Media”
- After 15 Years of Progress, Gay & Lesbian Fund to Re-Evaluate Strategic Direction, Will Continue Funding Current Grantees Through 2012
- Gill Foundation and Weber Shandwick Release ‘Business of Change’
- Gill Foundation Announces New CFO