Longtime Transgender Movement Leader Masen Davis to Join Gill Foundation as Senior Director of Special ProjectsMon Dec 12, 2016
Gill Foundation President & CEO Courtney Cuff announced today that Masen Davis will be joining the foundation team as senior director of special projects, effective January 2017.
“We are excited to welcome Masen as a senior member of our team. He brings incredible knowledge and experience to the table,” said Cuff. “From ushering in sweeping changes to California’s nondiscrimination law to increasing healthcare access for transgender people across the country, Masen’s leadership and proven track record are a critical addition to the foundation at this pivotal juncture.”
“After focusing on international equality for transgender people in recent years, I’m ready to dive back into the work that’s needed to protect and secure equal treatment here at home. The Gill Foundation team is smart, strategic, and relentless in pursuit of equality. I can’t wait to get to work,” said Davis.
Davis brings over twenty years of advocacy and nonprofit leadership to his work at the Gill Foundation. He most recently served as co-director of Global Action for Trans Equality (2015-16) and Executive Director of Transgender Law Center (2007-2015).
Under Davis’ leadership, Transgender Law Center became the nation’s largest transgender advocacy organization. Davis’ work was critical to the elimination of discriminatory insurance exclusions in California, creating a pathway for transgender Americans to access transition-related care. He was also an integral part of the coalition that helped pass California’s School Success and Opportunity Act (AB 1266), ensuring transgender students have access to facilities and activities that match their gender identity.
“Masen’s work and his leadership in the movement have had a tremendous impact on the lives of transgender people. There is no one more prepared to lead the foundation’s efforts to build familiarity and understanding with transgender Americans,” said Cuff.
As senior director of special projects, Davis will oversee several key program areas. He will manage a grant portfolio focused on advancing equal treatment and opportunity for transgender people and assist in efforts to increase and diversify funding for the movement.
“We have a lot of work ahead of us. Transgender people have unprecedented visibility, and Americans are learning more about us every day. Acceptance and understanding is increasing as more of us come out and tell our stories; however, our opposition has never been fiercer. In many states, a hardworking transgender person can be fired from their job, kicked out of their apartment, or refused service at a business simply because of who they are. Transgender women of color are facing levels of violence we’ve never seen before. And our opposition’s fear mongering about bathrooms isn’t going away. I’m eager to partner with our grantees and partners to tackle these challenges head on,” Davis said.
For more information, contact Jace Woodrum at 720-274-3238.
About Gill Foundation
The Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equal rights work. The foundation has invested more than $304 million since inception in organizations and programs to achieve its mission of equal opportunity for all Americans, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity and expression.
In The News
- Who's Partnering with Joe Biden on LGBTQ Inclusion?
- Investing in LGBTQ Advocacy with Smart Philanthropy
- 'Beyond I Do:' Denver foundation's new ad campaign focuses on LGBT discrimination
- 'Beyond I Do' PSA shows how LGBTQ discrimination still happens
- LGBTQ advocacy organization Gill Foundation selected local Brad Clark to take over as president
- New Leader for LGBT-Funding Powerhouse Gill Foundation
- Ford’s $1 Billion Impact Investment Fund Gets New Manager; Gill Foundation Hires CEO From Within
- Gill Foundation drops $400,000 on STEM labs for every elementary school in Englewood
- What the Right Gets Wrong About LGBT Megadonor Tim Gill
- Meet Tim Gill, The Megadonor Behind the LGBTQ Rights Movement
- Colorado advocates cheer U.S. Supreme Court ruling for gay marriage
- Gay Marriage Backers to Finance Anti-Discrimination Efforts
- America’s Gay Corporate Warrior Wants to Bring Full Equality to Red States
- The Marriage Equality Hall of Fame: 8 Funders Who Helped Make It Happen
- National Park Service’s Heritage Initiative aims to honor LGBT contributions
- National Park Service looks to add historic LGBT sites
- Telling All of America’s Story: The National Park Service Announces LGBT Theme Study
- US Aims to Identify, Promote Historic LGBT Sites
- With new initiative, National Park Service will put LGBT sites on the national map
- Gay donor: Gay rights not ‘inevitable’
- Gay Rights Push Shifts Its Focus South and West
- Eliza Byard Joins Gill Foundation Board of Directors
- Tim Gill & Scott Miller Announce Brad Clark as President and CEO
- Leadership Update from Tim Gill & Scott Miller
- Longtime Transgender Movement Leader Masen Davis to Join Gill Foundation as Senior Director of Special Projects
- Our 2016 LGBT Funding Priorities
- Tim Gill Statement in Response to Supreme Court Ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges
- Vice President Joe Biden Speaks at OutGiving 2015
- Seasoned Movement Leader Brad Clark to Join Gill Foundation as Vice President of Partnerships
- Gill Foundation’s Gay & Lesbian Fund for Colorado Announces $50,000 Grant to Support “Colorado Rising,” a Benefit for Flood Relief
- Gill Foundation Names Courtney Cuff as President and CEO
- Sweeney to Finish Term as President and CEO of Gill Foundation by End of 2013
- Gill Foundation Hires Lance King as Vice President of Donor Resources
- Gill Foundation Announces Gift of Colorado Springs Building to Rocky Mountain PBS, Creating “Tim Gill Center for Public Media”
- After 15 Years of Progress, Gay & Lesbian Fund to Re-Evaluate Strategic Direction, Will Continue Funding Current Grantees Through 2012
- Gill Foundation and Weber Shandwick Release ‘Business of Change’
- Gill Foundation Announces New CFO