Sweeney to Finish Term as President and CEO of Gill Foundation by End of 2013Mon Sep 17, 2012
Gill Foundation Founder and Board Chair Tim Gill announced today that Tim Sweeney has informed the board he will end his term as president and CEO of the foundation before the end of 2013. The board will lead a search process to identify Sweeney’s replacement.
“Tim Sweeney’s excellent stewardship has placed the Gill Foundation in the strongest position in its history, and we’re grateful for his service to the foundation, the LGBT movement, and our home state of Colorado,” said Gill.
“Leading the Gill Foundation and working with Tim Gill has been a privilege,” said Sweeney. “I have been humbled by Tim’s generosity, and I am proud of what our staff and our board have accomplished together in the past five years. We were leaders in focusing resources on education and advocacy in the states to build national momentum for equality. We helped reimagine federal advocacy to ensure that agencies include LGBT concerns in administrative decisions. We increased the range and depth of non-gay ally organizations working to advance equality. In Colorado, we revitalized LGBT advocacy and helped build a national model for progressive infrastructure.”
“The foundation is positioned well to continue having a tremendous impact on the LGBT movement and on Colorado, and it’s the right time for me, personally, to return to my home in San Francisco and take on new challenges,” said Sweeney.
“Tim Sweeney is a true pioneer in the LGBT movement and not easy to replace,” said Gill. “From working with Harvey Milk in the ‘No on 6’ campaign, to leading organizations like Lambda Legal and Gay Men’s Health Crisis, to his service in philanthropy at the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund and the Gill Foundation, Tim’s 35 years of exemplary service in the movement has changed the lives of millions of Americans. We asked him to give us a year of transition when he decided to move on, and we appreciate that he has done that.”
“We’re confident that through this transition we will find the right person to lead the foundation into its next phase,” said Gill.
The Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equal rights work. The foundation has invested more than $220 Million since inception in organizations and programs to achieve its mission of equal opportunity for all Americans, regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression.
In The News
- Who's Partnering with Joe Biden on LGBTQ Inclusion?
- Investing in LGBTQ Advocacy with Smart Philanthropy
- 'Beyond I Do:' Denver foundation's new ad campaign focuses on LGBT discrimination
- 'Beyond I Do' PSA shows how LGBTQ discrimination still happens
- LGBTQ advocacy organization Gill Foundation selected local Brad Clark to take over as president
- New Leader for LGBT-Funding Powerhouse Gill Foundation
- Ford’s $1 Billion Impact Investment Fund Gets New Manager; Gill Foundation Hires CEO From Within
- Gill Foundation drops $400,000 on STEM labs for every elementary school in Englewood
- What the Right Gets Wrong About LGBT Megadonor Tim Gill
- Meet Tim Gill, The Megadonor Behind the LGBTQ Rights Movement
- Colorado advocates cheer U.S. Supreme Court ruling for gay marriage
- Gay Marriage Backers to Finance Anti-Discrimination Efforts
- America’s Gay Corporate Warrior Wants to Bring Full Equality to Red States
- The Marriage Equality Hall of Fame: 8 Funders Who Helped Make It Happen
- National Park Service’s Heritage Initiative aims to honor LGBT contributions
- National Park Service looks to add historic LGBT sites
- Telling All of America’s Story: The National Park Service Announces LGBT Theme Study
- US Aims to Identify, Promote Historic LGBT Sites
- With new initiative, National Park Service will put LGBT sites on the national map
- Gay donor: Gay rights not ‘inevitable’
- Gay Rights Push Shifts Its Focus South and West
- Eliza Byard Joins Gill Foundation Board of Directors
- Tim Gill & Scott Miller Announce Brad Clark as President and CEO
- Leadership Update from Tim Gill & Scott Miller
- Longtime Transgender Movement Leader Masen Davis to Join Gill Foundation as Senior Director of Special Projects
- Our 2016 LGBT Funding Priorities
- Tim Gill Statement in Response to Supreme Court Ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges
- Vice President Joe Biden Speaks at OutGiving 2015
- Seasoned Movement Leader Brad Clark to Join Gill Foundation as Vice President of Partnerships
- Gill Foundation’s Gay & Lesbian Fund for Colorado Announces $50,000 Grant to Support “Colorado Rising,” a Benefit for Flood Relief
- Gill Foundation Names Courtney Cuff as President and CEO
- Sweeney to Finish Term as President and CEO of Gill Foundation by End of 2013
- Gill Foundation Hires Lance King as Vice President of Donor Resources
- Gill Foundation Announces Gift of Colorado Springs Building to Rocky Mountain PBS, Creating “Tim Gill Center for Public Media”
- After 15 Years of Progress, Gay & Lesbian Fund to Re-Evaluate Strategic Direction, Will Continue Funding Current Grantees Through 2012
- Gill Foundation and Weber Shandwick Release ‘Business of Change’
- Gill Foundation Announces New CFO