Are you interested in being part of a dynamic, fearless team that is a leader, catalyst, and agenda-setter in the march toward equality? Occasionally, we have openings for really great people.
Founded in 1994, the Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equal rights work. The goal of our work is to create an America in which all people are treated equally and respectfully. For more information, please visit www.gillfoundation.org.
This senior position leads two key bodies of communications work: 1) driving the public imperative for change in key states where LGBT people can be fired, evicted, or denied services, 2) building the public brand of the Gill Foundation in service of inspiring other donors to increase their giving.
We’re looking for someone to provide a source of strategic, impactful communications ideas – leading messaging efforts, designing breakthrough campaigns that move target audiences, and inspiring LGBT people and our allies to take action on behalf of equal treatment. You’ll tap into the strategic minds, messaging gurus, and the field staff already in place in the states.
This position works with their peers on the senior executive team to ensure the foundation communicates consistently, effectively builds the funding scale necessary to achieve its goals, and executes its grant making strategies to achieve measurable results.
The VP of Communications will help shape the foundation’s public face among primary target audiences (donors, influencers) and the general public. The best candidate for this position will be well-versed in current digital communications and tools and will oversee staff who manage our social media presence, create our annual report, and develop talking points for occasional speaking engagements and op-eds.
Note that this job is largely behind the scenes – “no comment please.” You won’t make a name for yourself in the media, but you will drive the debate toward equality.
- Models the Guiding Principles of the Gill Foundation and helps ensure a mission-driven culture.
- Drives a “no excuses” focus on achieving outcomes and a culture of mutual accountability and collaboration necessary to realize those outcomes.
- Models an obsession with attention to detail, research and learning, and insists on maintaining high-level subject matter expertise.
- Professionally represents the foundation in dealings with the public and the media.
- Ensures a unified understanding of the foundation’s mission and strategic priorities among staff and all external constituencies.
Help create and drive a communications vision for the LGBT movement. – 50%
- Innovate. Create new communications projects that persuade, inspire action, and disrupt anti-LGBT narratives.
- Lead. Develop a proactive communications plan, building buy-in of key movement leaders and leveraging resources to enact it.
- Modernize. Design and execute cutting-edge digital media strategies that advance the foundation’s mission and modernize the communications approaches of grantees.
- Learn. Figure out the message that cuts through, creating synergy and intentional learning across the multiple messaging projects underway.
Amplify the Message – 30%
- Enlist high profile messengers to participate in public education campaigns that will resonate with target audiences.
- Leverage the reach, and support, of social media platforms to deploy content broadly. Build in experiments to test effectiveness.
- Oversee multi-million dollar project underway with the Ad Council.
- Work with leadership team to shape a dynamic and influential bi-annual donor conference and more frequent dinner events. Drive event messaging strategy, design, and content for foundation events.
Lead the Communications Team – 20%
- Manage director of communications, communications associate, and consultants as they leverage high-profile media coverage of the foundation’s work, drive communications projects in the individual states, and create organizational communications that enhance the foundation’s image, brand, and reputation.
- Coach communications team and program officers on related work, including opportunistic and crisis communications planning, press statements, website and social media content, digital media projects, presentations, and scripting for the CEO and Co-Chairs.
- Work closely with the COO to develop and track the annual outcomes and budget, as well as ensure that all communications comply with federal, state and local laws.
- Create rapid response plans and foundation positioning recommendations when relevant news or changes in the issue landscape occur.
- Lead communications reporting to the board.
- Experience: Has developed and driven successful statewide and/or national PR campaigns that employ a range of digital and traditional mediums.
- Innovative spirit: Has passion for breaking new ground in public education efforts.
- Strategic vision and agility: Has ability to think strategically, act nimbly, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the plan.
- Top Performer: Has proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of data analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Operates with excellence in mind in all matters, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings.
- Transparent, direct, with substance.
- Disciplined self-starter.
- Spark, imagination, creativity.
- Able to remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines.
This is an outstanding opportunity to partner with the Gill Foundation’s CEO and senior management team. The Gill Foundation offers competitive compensation packages including base salary, health, retirement, and vacation benefits. The Gill Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with federal and state law.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment and provides equal employment opportunity regarding race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, or military status and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.