The Gill Foundation seeks a mission-driven, campaign-oriented Program Officer to develop and execute grant-making strategies in service of securing full legal equality for LGBTQ people nationwide. This Program Officer is responsible for identifying, engaging, and mobilizing unexpected and untraditional allies to support efforts to secure and defend equal rights for LGBTQ people. This position reports to the Chief Strategy Officer.
The ideal candidate will embody the following traits:
- Believes in the vision of the Gill Foundation, fosters a mission-driven culture, and models the foundation’s core values of being nimble, pragmatic, and innovative.
- Acquires and maintains high-level subject matter expertise in LGBTQ issues and specific portfolio areas, avidly consuming and sharing information to improve our strategies.
- Turns ideas into action, rigorously evaluates the work, and iterates until success is achieved.
- Sets and meets high expectations of yourself, your colleagues, and your grantees – placing a premium on continuous learning and incorporating that learning into future investments.
- Thrives in a team-centered environment, wholeheartedly implements whatever decision is made, and contributes to the success of the entire team.
Portfolio Management – 70%
- Identify, vet, and engage new and unexpected allies as potential grantees or partners, such as from business, faith, and conservative communities.
- Develop and manage 2-3 portfolios of high-impact grants, consulting contracts, and relationships with influential partners in order to advance LGBTQ equality.
- Rigorously monitor the issue, media, and policy landscapes to identify emerging opportunities for new investments and partnerships.
- Solicit grant proposals in accordance with portfolio objectives and foundation priorities, and prepare monthly dockets for consideration by the foundation’s board co-chairs.
- Collaborate with other program officers to share information and learnings, create alignment across programmatic areas, and maximize the impact of the foundation’s investments.
- Ensure grantees are high-profile participants in the public discourse about LGBTQ rights, responding quickly and constructively when LGBTQ issues are in the spotlight.
- Work with the Communications Team and grantees to develop and launch paid, earned, and digital media initiatives that complement public education and field campaigns.
- Serve as a foundation representative at convenings of movement leaders and allies.
- Support the Chief Strategy Officer in developing annual goals, funding priorities, and budget recommendations for the foundation.
Measurement and Reporting – 15%
- Determine with grantees key performance indicators and metrics of success for all grants, compile and evaluate the efficacy of materials created with foundation support, and report on the impact of each grant at the conclusion of its term.
- Provide regular reports to senior leadership that evaluate grantees’ progress toward their outcomes and recommend any necessary pivots in strategy or approach.
- Present on portfolio performance and strategy at biannual board meetings, prepare briefing materials for board members, and contribute to monthly updates to the board.
- Work with our Grants Administration Team to ensure all proposals are in full compliance with laws governing private foundations.
Stakeholder Education and Engagement – 15%
- Work with our Donor Resources Team to leverage Gill Foundation investments to engage other institutional funders and individual donors.
- Work with our Communications Team to source content for monthly updates to partners, including updates from the field, briefings by grantees, and collaboration opportunities.
- Provide real-time updates on key developments and achievements to the Donor Resources Team and Communications Team to inform stakeholders of the work being done by grantees.
- Assist the Donor Resources Team in the production of the foundation’s biennial OutGiving conference, including speaker identification and preparation, content creation, and staffing.
- At least five years’ experience managing complex issue advocacy or public education campaigns.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Adept at research with the ability to quickly vet, consume, and synthesize large amounts of information from diverse sources.
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker who can quickly turn ideas into action.
- Self-starter who can focus under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage multiple tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the confidence to debate ideas without ego interfering.
- High standards for personal/professional integrity, and ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
- Strong knowledge base or considerable interest in the LGBTQ movement and/or philanthropy.
- Familiarity with administrative rule-making and/or legal proceedings preferred.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with leaders at the Gill Foundation and across the LGBTQ movement. We offer competitive compensation packages including health, retirement, and vacation benefits. Starting salary range for this position is $90k-110k annually, depending on experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, military status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This position is based in our dog-friendly office in Denver, CO. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, genetic characteristics, military status, conditions relating to pregnancy or childbearing, and/or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The foundation’s policy is in full compliance with all applicable laws and applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.