The foundation seeks a mission-focused and metrics-minded Communications Associate to manage internal and external communications, support the programs team with research and evaluation of investments, and assist the donor resources team with stakeholder communications and event programming. This position serves as the voice of the foundation, crafting content for our online properties, informing partners of key developments, drafting remarks for foundation leadership, and developing our annual report and other collateral. With a creative eye, impeccable writing skills, and flawless attention to detail, the Communications Associate is responsible for communicating the vision and impact of the foundation. This position reports to the Senior Communications Officer.
The ideal candidate will embody the following traits:
- Embraces and contributes to work culture driven by mission, creativity, risk-taking, and results.
- Turns ideas into action, evaluating and iterating until the desired outcome is achieved.
- Develops and executes communications strategies that achieve measurable results for both the foundation and grantees.
- Acquires and maintains high-level subject matter expertise on both LGBTQ issues and communications best practices.
- Thrives in a team-centered environment, setting high expectations for yourself and your colleagues, sharing responsibility in both successes and failures.
- Exercises independent judgment and initiative to ensure information flows quickly and effectively, deadlines are met, and actions receive rigorous and honest evaluation.
External Communications – 35%
- Develop and execute the foundation’s digital content strategy, positioning the foundation as a leader in the philanthropic and LGBTQ communities, building awareness of the foundation’s strategy and impact, and amplifying the accomplishments of our grantees, including: maintaining and updating the Gill Foundation website; managing the foundation’s social media properties, iterating based on digital analytics; and maintaining and sharing archival materials around anniversaries of key milestones.
- Design and develop the annual report, holiday card, and other special projects.
- Assist with research and written remarks for interviews, events, and presentations.
- Create and implement protocols for responding to inquiries, vetting media requests, and assessing potential crisis situations.
- Manage relationships with vendors, including website partners, designers, photographers, etc.
Stakeholder Engagement – 25%
- Inform key stakeholders of our current priorities and accomplishments, including: working with the Donor Resources team to craft twice-monthly emails for donors; working with the Chief Strategy Officer and programs team to engage grantees and partners in collaboration, capacity-building, and information-sharing; and drafting and sending all foundation emails through the foundation’s email platforms.
- Support the execution of all OutGiving event communications, including but not limited to invitations, videos, emails, reports, and materials.
- Develop an annual impact report to update OutGiving donors on the results of their investments and relay key developments and upcoming opportunities.
Evaluation and Reporting – 25%
- Collaborate with program officers to monitor and track media coverage and social media activity related to the foundation’s investment portfolios.
- Work with the Senior Communications Officer to pilot and scale evaluation frameworks and techniques to rigorously analyze the impact of our investments.
- Track and evaluate the performance of grants with digital components, providing guidance to grantees on metrics to collect and collecting information to analyze.
- Provide drafting and editing support for reports to the board, including monthly updates and board meeting presentations and materials.
Internal Communications – 15%
- Assist with drafting and editing internal announcements, updates to the employee handbook, and other written communications as needed.
- Ensure brand consistency across foundation collateral and staff communications.
- Maintain the foundation’s style guide and communications manual, updating as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, and at least 5 years of experience in communications.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and an eagerness to write often.
- Experience managing organizational websites, social media platforms, and e-mail campaigns.
- Demonstrated excellence in project management involving internal and external stakeholders, vendors, and consultants; strong attention to detail; and proven ability to multi-task.
- Experience with growing and engaging digital audiences through owned and paid channels, developing timely and engaging content, and tracking and analyzing social and digital analytics.
- Strong time-management skills, including the ability to manage short- and long-term projects.
- Ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities in a team-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of the LGBTQ movement preferred.
The Gill Foundation offers competitive compensation packages including salary and health, retirement, and vacation benefits. Annual salary range for this position is $55k to $65k, depending on experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, military status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This position is based in our dog-friendly office in Denver, CO. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, genetic characteristics, military status, conditions relating to pregnancy or childbearing, and/or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The foundation’s policy is in full compliance with all applicable laws and applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.