Founded in 1994, the Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of efforts to secure full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. For more information, please visit www.gillfoundation.org.
With an annual budget of approximately $15 million and a Denver-based team of 16 people, the Gill Foundation seeks a Senior Accountant to coordinate and maintain the financial and accounting functions of the organization, including financial reporting, investment accounting and analysis, fixed assets, and accounts payable. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
The ideal candidate will embody the following traits:
- Believes in the vision and values of the Gill Foundation and helps ensure a mission-driven culture.
- Puts a premium on getting the details right and persisting until questions are fully answered.
- Thrives in a team-centered environment and contributes to the success of the team as a whole.
- Embraces a culture of high performance, accountability, and continuous improvement.
Accounting and Controls – 40%
- Maintain and adhere to the monthly, quarterly, and annual closing schedules.
- Oversee accounts payable and internal expense reporting system to ensure accurate processing.
- Perform general journal entries, adjustments and reclassifications, and account and bank reconciliations.
- Lead the continual improvement and use of technology within the accounting department:
- Ensure functionality of Great Plains and Management Reporter.
- Ensure staff are appropriately trained to maximize the benefit of technology to the department.
- Create and maintain all policies and procedures related to control of organization assets, financial records, management reporting, and proper completion of financial transactions.
- Collaborate with the COO to develop and implement internal controls, establish appropriate policies, and conduct regular reviews to ensure compliance within the department to meet IRS requirements, rules, and regulations for not-for-profit, private foundations.
- Assume the COO’s duties in their absence, as necessary.
- Provide backup of accounts payable, as needed.
Investment Accounting and Analysis – 30%
- Oversee investment accounting, processing, and analysis to ensure accurate reporting of balances, valuations, capital gains and tax liability, and compliance with all capital call and distribution requirements.
- Prepare all journal entries related to monthly investment account activity.
- Oversee and maintain correspondence with investment managers and consultants.
- Special projects as requested.
Financial Reporting and Analysis – 30%
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget.
- Prepare monthly financials and variance analysis for review by department managers.
- Calculate budget to actual variances and report significant issues to COO and staff managers.
- Assist in preparation of annual audit requirements.
- Respond to inquiries regarding accounting and finance in a timely and accurate manner.
- Perform special requests and reporting as required.
Key Qualifications / Expectations
- Advanced degree in business, accounting, or finance.
- Minimum five to seven years of experience in accounting and/or finance, with two years of experience constructing, generating, and modifying financial reporting through automated tools.
- Superior knowledge of investment accounting, including recognition of gains, losses, and cost basis and the ability to read, understand, and extrapolate key financial information from custodian and individual investment manager reports.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and auditing standards.
- Experience with chart of accounts management and setup.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office with expert functionality in Microsoft Excel to include experience with advanced features and formulas.
- Proven ability to function effectively in a team environment.
- Strong work ethic, time management, prioritization, and organization skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to prioritize individual, department, and organizational projects.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join the Gill Foundation’s team. The Gill Foundation offers competitive compensation packages including base salary, health, retirement, and vacation benefits. Salary range for this position is $65k to $80k, annually, DOE.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, military status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This position is based in Denver, CO. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no phone calls.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, genetic characteristics, military status, conditions relating to pregnancy or childbearing, and/or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The foundation’s policy is in full compliance with all applicable laws and applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.